Friday, April 11, 2014

Sara's Thoughts - 04/11/2014

Life is hard right now. Exactly a week ago, my dear friend Katie was in a horrible bicycling accident that hurt her badly and left her unconscious. They rushed her into surgery, and that night, her brother called to tell me that she was not going to live through the night. I hung up the phone, and thought, She's going to die. My best friend is going to die. I wept that night, and every day since as Katie made progress, and then experienced more setbacks. A week ago, the doctors had no hope. Then she lived through the night and there was a little hope. It even reached a point where they were sure she was going to live and recover. They started to wean her off of the medicine that keeps her in a coma, and her ICP and blood pressure went back up. They put her back on the medicine, but are now saying that it did further damage to her brain, and the movements she had until this point that gave evidence of brain activity are slowly coming to a stop. It's not looking good for my beautiful friend. God could still work a miracle (and I'm hoping and praying that He does), but He could also take her home.

Until now, I haven't experienced anything too horrible in life. You hear stories like Katie's on the news every day, but I never thought something like this would hit so close to home. In spite of all that has happened, and all the tears shed so far, I have peace. I'm not worried about Katie, or what is going to happen. From the moment I got that phone call on Friday night, I've felt an unusual calm in the midst of the pain. How is that possible? How can I not be freaking out when my friend has been at death's door for a week, and may still die?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:6-7

God is in control of this situation. And Katie loves Jesus Christ more than anyone or anything in this whole world. Whether she stays or goes, I am comforted because I know I will see her again. The Lord has brought her through many challenges and difficulties throughout her life, and if He ends her suffering, then I am thankful for every moment I've had the privilege of sharing with Katie. God has always been amazing in her, and if going ahead of us into eternity means that more people will come to know Christ as their Savior, then I know it's what Katie would want. 

If you are hurting, know that God loves you so dearly. You are so priceless to Him, and He died for you so that you could know Him and experience His peace. We can't understand why He allows difficult things to happen in our lives, but we can know that He uses them for good (Romans 8:28). None of your tears are wasted. None of your suffering is meaningless. When you hurt, He hurts with you. Let Him be your Comforter, and take refuge in the shadow of His wings. Experience His peace which passes all understanding, and look to the future without fear. 

Posted below is a video of Katie giving her testimony. You may not know her, but by the end, you'll be able to see how special she is. I love you always, Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Iron sharpens Iron, and one man sharpens another." -Proverbs 27:17

I really appreciate the fact that you've taken time out of your busy life to read my post today. If you have any thoughts about this entry, please feel free to leave a comment! Your perspective is valuable to me, and I would love to see what you have to say. Please keep all comments respectful and mature - we can disagree without behaving foolishly. Any comments that are abusive or contain inappropriate language will be removed. Have a wonderful day!