Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sara's Thoughts - 1/07/2014

We're seven days into 2014, and I have a feeling that this is going to be a great year. 2013 was full of soul-searching for me, and I made a lot of discoveries about the state of my heart. It turns out there's a whole lot of sin in there (big shocker, I know). Seriously, the amount of ugliness residing there was overwhelming. There's a lot of anger and bitterness over things that shouldn't matter anymore, that I had supposedly "moved on" from. Also pride, self-righteousness, false humility, laziness, and fear.

Ugliness.

Yesterday was a big turning point for me as I decided I no longer wanted those things to have a hold on me. I sat down and wrote out everything that was bothering me inside as it came to mind, and how I felt about it. Tears streamed down my face as I examined each sin I was guilty of. As I begin to put each of these issues to rest (hopefully for good this time), I'm reminded of something that the Apostle Paul wrote:
"Not that I have already reached [the goal] or am already fully mature, but I make every effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus. Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 3:12-14
As long as I am dwelling on the past, I cannot move forward into the future that God has in store for me. Life is too short to live in the past. I want to live in the now, pressing on toward whatever my future holds.

Rather than making resolutions at the end of December (as I often have before), I decided to pick one word to focus on this year. After lots of thought, I chose "prayer" to be my word. Prayer is and always has been sort of an enigma to me. Though I struggle to understand and practice real intercessory prayer, I truly believe that it's the single most powerful and effective tool that a Christian could have in their spiritual arsenal. God's Word has a lot to say about prayer, and Jesus Himself taught us how we should pray with the assumption that we would be praying. I talk to the Lord every day, and at various times throughout the day, but I feel like I'm missing out on a real and intimate prayer life. I want more. I want to move closer to the heart of God and have confidence in my relationship with Jesus Christ.

Getting rid of filth in my life, learning about prayer, pressing on to what is ahead...yep, it's going to be a great year!

What Do You Think?
  • When's the last time you did some soul-searching, and what did you find?
  • Did you make any resolutions, or choose one word to focus on this year?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

"Iron sharpens Iron, and one man sharpens another." -Proverbs 27:17

I really appreciate the fact that you've taken time out of your busy life to read my post today. If you have any thoughts about this entry, please feel free to leave a comment! Your perspective is valuable to me, and I would love to see what you have to say. Please keep all comments respectful and mature - we can disagree without behaving foolishly. Any comments that are abusive or contain inappropriate language will be removed. Have a wonderful day!